ALBAN ELVED DANCE COMPANY
ALBAN ELVED DANCE COMPANY is a 501-c-3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating community through performing arts. The organization serves as a platform for a number of creative projects, performances, festivals, community outreach and education.
Alban Elved Dance Company began as a performing dance company in Berlin, Germany, called to life by artistic director and choreographer Karola Lüttringhaus. In 2000 Alban Elved Dance Company, the non-profit organization, was founded by dancer/assistant director Andrea Lieske, visual artist/gallery owner Millicent Greason, and choreographer/scene designer Karola Luttringhaus in Winston-Salem, NC, Since then the company has offered hundreds of events, enriching the lives of community members across the board.
Alban Elved Dance Company is an instigator and incubator of art, expression and communication, interested in spanning borders between artforms and people.
Alban Elved Dance Company offers a variety of programming including:
- Live performances
- Community projects
- Annual SARUS Festival for Site-specific & Exerimental Art:
- Ongoing MoRe Movement Research project with Salem College
- Annual MoRe Summer Intensive @ Salem College
- Teaching for professionals in dance, bodywork, and massage therapy
- Arts Education programming 8-12 (classes, residencies, performances)
- Arts Education k-6 performances
Since 2003 we have celebrated a rich PARTNERSHIP WITH SALEM COLLEGE.
(501-c-3 non-profit organization, incorporated in the state of North Carolina in 2000)
* ALBAN ELVED DANCE COMPANY pursues the creation and presentation of innovative, multi-dimensional, original, and intellectually stimulating art experiences to fulfill some of humanities most fundamental needs: meaningful emotional & intellectual exchange and growth, creativity, and freedom.
* We investigate the psychological, societal and cultural implications of creativity and understand art to be an intrinsically human trait that bears great importance on our very nature.
* We are dedicated to enriching the professional artistic exchange in North Carolina and seek to expand the bearing of dance theatre and interdisciplinary performing arts on the social, personal and political fabric of our communities.
* We foster open-mindedness and empathy across ages and backgrounds and past the borders of the venue into everyday life. We aim to strengthen the image of women as physically and emotionally reliable, self-determined and eloquently expressive individuals.
* Our movement educators study and honor the body's design. They share their insights for the purpose of physical and emotional wellness.
about the name
'alban elved' is the Celtic name for the fall equinox, literally translating to "the light of the water" and water often finds a place in the company's works in actual or metaphorical form. The SARUS FESTIVAL was named after the sarus crane, Grus antigone, who had been a symbol for the company for years. The name "Sarus" has a Sanskrit origin and means "of water", "lake or wetland". In fact, in Tamil the term "Sarasa-naadanam" refers to graceful dancing.
ARTISTIC CORE TEAM
TECHNICAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM